APPLICATION FOR VOLUNTEERS
Kenya has been severely affected by drought and extreme poverty which has negatively impacted the future of Kenya’s children. Child deaths, injuries, malnutrition, lack of education, and displacement are some of the many issues that plague Kenya.
To promote development, enrichment, and sustainable solutions to our partners in Kenya through educational programs and local fundraising in Canada.
To see that our partners in developing countries have access to the necessities of life in order to suffer less and live more.
KIDS is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization in Winnipeg founded in 2010 who purpose is to relieve conditions associated with poverty, underdeveloped education programs, and deficient medical aid in Kenya.
WHAT WE DO
Every year we travel to Kenya to disburse of K.I.D.S. donor dollars for:
- School Programs
- Orphanage Programs
- HIV/AIDS Programs
- IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) Camps
We do this by providing funds locally in Kenya for:
- Medical supplies and medicines
- School meal programs
- School supplies, school uniforms, sports equipment, and school equipment
- Income-Generating Projects such as Greenhouses, Sewing Machines, Dairy Programs, Harvest Irrigation Projects, Grain Grinders, etc.
- Renovation projects for program structures
- Construction of new toilet facilities
- Water tanks and water piping for access to clean water
REALITIES IN KENYA:
- More than half a million people in drought affected districts need emergency water supplies.
- 9 out of 10 children in poverty fail to complete their basic education.
- 7.8 million individuals are deprived of safe water.
- In Kenya 46% of the population is living below the poverty line and nearly a quarter of Kenya’s population lives on less then $1 per day. Adding insult to injury the food available for consumption is not a balanced diet and as a result this demographic is prone to malnutrition and related illnesses. In some districts, a quarter of all children are acutely malnourished.
- HIV/AIDS prevalence has stabilized at 7.8% HIV/AIDS is a pandemic that accounts for a large percent of additional complications (i.e. increase in number of orphans, widows and child headed families etc.) This has also significantly contributed to poverty, disease and a fragile balance on health.
- An estimated 10,000 to 30,000 children have been caught up in the commercial sex trade.
- 2.8 million or 1/3 of Kenyan children under the age of 5 are chronically malnourished.
- Kenya continues to face humanitarian challenges due to the large influx of refugees increasing insecurity and ongoing food insecurity. On top of that over 2 million children are orphaned in Kenya.
Join the K.I.D.S. Initiative Volunteers and Help Support Development & Sustainability.
What are the roles of our volunteers?
The roles of our volunteers vary from Board Members, to Granting Writing Committee Members, to Event Volunteers. There are several different ways to support the organization with your gift of time!
Responsibilities of our Volunteers:
- Regularly participate in volunteer meetings, committees and important related discussions
- Make a serious commitment to participate actively with the organization and on committee work
- Stay informed about committee issues, prepare for meetings, and act prompt;y on responsibilities
- Be an active participant in committee and planning efforts
- Avoid any conflicts of interest
- Maintain confidentiality
- Participate in fundraising or special events
- Publicly support the organization’s mandate
CERTAIN POSITIONS MAY REQUIRE A CRIMINAL RECORD AND/OR A CHILD ABUSE REGISTRY CHECK.
YOUR APPLICATION, COVER LETTER AND/OR RESUME MUST CLEARLY INDICATE HOW YOU MEET THE QUALIFICATIONS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING WITH KIDS!